What We Do
Located downtown near the center of campus, Health Services connects you with the services you need—from caring, informed medical advice to immediate, hands-on care. With advanced clinical training in a wide range of areas, our team of nurse practitioners provide care at no cost to full-time students.
Please note that, while we provide the services below at no cost to full-time students, you may incur outside charges for related procedures and medicines.
For more about care options beyond those provided by Health Services, go to our overview of emergency and outside services.
- first aid for minor cuts, burns, stings or injuries
- non-emergency care for severe colds, flu, allergies, fever, sore throat, cough, ear/eye pain, headaches and stomach or urinary problems
- pap smears
- pregnancy tests
- contraception counseling and prescriptions
- STD/STI testing and treatment
- physical exams
- lab work
- blood draws
- medication administration (injections)
- high blood pressure/cholesterol screening
- diabetes support
- weight and nutritional support
We provide safe, supportive, gender-inclusive care for members of RISD’s LQTBQIA+ community. Our services include but are not limited to: sexual health, PrEP and specific cancer screenings. We also assist students with referrals for gender-affirming care with local health care providers.
- rapid HIV testing
- STI testing and treatment
- birth control counseling
Referrals to Providence-area specialists for one-time or continuing care, as well as testing not available through Health Services*
* Our student health insurance plan and many other commercial insurances require referrals to see specialists and receive care outside of Health Services. If you are in need of a referral or feel you need additional services please call us for assistance.
The patient portal
With our convenient, secure online portal, you can access and manage important information related to the medical care you receive at RISD. The patient portal allows you to submit health and immunization records, view past and upcoming appointments, communicate confidentially with care providers and more.
You can use the portal to manage your care as follows:
Log into the portal to track your compliance with RISD-required vaccinations. You will see a printable list of missing immunizations and those we have on file.
You can also use the portal to upload your completed vaccination form.
Proof of insurance
You can submit insurance information for either RISD-provided or external health insurance using the portal’s user-friendly form. Additionally, you can log in to view your insurance information in case you need it but don’t have your card on hand.
Use the patient portal to complete required health forms and download additional documents. To help you track your compliance with RISD health requirements, the portal also provides a dated record of forms you have completed. (You can also search this site’s forms library to download health- and insurance-related forms found in the portal and elsewhere.)
The patient portal offers a secure way to contact us at any time (though note we only check messages during normal business hours). You’ll also find an inbox for conveniently tracking your sent and received messages.
We will share any educational materials you receive following an appointment with you via your patient portal so you can conveniently access information unique to your care history.
Use the patient portal to upload the following forms:
- consent to treat students under age 18 (required for applicable students)
- hospital records/outside provider records
- immunization records (required)
- insurance card
- medical or religious exemption form
- tuberculosis high-risk form
The portal also tracks documents already received by Student Health Services, including date of receipt.
Use the portal to let us know about any changes to your personal information, including best ways to contact, gender identity and pronoun preferences.