F-1 Employment

Find out what you need to do to legally work in the US—at RISD and off campus, before and after graduation.

On-campus employment

If you are a RISD student on an F-1 visa, you are eligible to work on campus. To do so, you must:

  • obtain a US government-issued social security number (SSN). See our F-1 need to knows if you have SSN questions.
  • meet with Student Employment to complete all necessary employment paperwork.

Note that 20 hours is the maximum number of hours you can work on campus while school is in session. There are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work during academic-year breaks.

More about on-campus jobs from RISD CareerS

Off-campus employment

RISD students on an F-1 visa may work off campus as long as you obtain employment authorization before legally beginning work. There are two types of off-campus employment authorization: curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT). See below for more information about CPT and OPT.

F-1 information for employers

Interested in hiring a RISD international student? See our guide for legal designations, job requirements and other information employers need to know when hiring F-1 visa students.

See our F-1 employers guide

Contact ISSA

students and guests gather at outdoor event with collection of national flags hanging overhead


Mon–Fri: 8:30 am–4:30 pm

Tues drop-in advising hours: 9–10:30 am

Fri drop-in advising hours: 11:30 am–1 pm


Carr House room 303

210 Benefit Street

Providence, RI 02903

401 277-4957